The design cycle consists of the following steps:
- Set up section sizes and brace locations based on the geometry and loading specified for the frame design.
- Calculate moment, shear, and axial force at each analysis point for each load combination.
- Compute allowable shear, allowable axial and allowable bending stress in compression and tension at each analysis point.
- Compute the corresponding stress ratios for shear, axial and bending based on the actual and allowable stresses and calculate the combined stress ratios.
- Design the optimum splice location and check to see whether the predicted sizes confirm to manufacturing constraints.
- Using the web optimization mode, arrive at the optimum web depths for the next cycle and update the member data file.
- At the end of all design cycles, an analysis is run to achieve flange brace optimization.